Dam Breakout and Earth Hour.

0

Written on 3/28/2009 06:26:00 AM by Jasper12.01u

Man, my back is still hurting and my feet too! I was stuck in a 2-and-a-half hour traffic (from 4:30PM to 7PM or so last night) due to the dam breakout yesterday.

Anyways the Situ Gintung dam, which was 76 years old by the way, broke out yesterday, causing the death of approximately 60 people with 10 still M.I.A.

People have been calling non-stop to the house, asking whether my family's okay because our house isn't really that far/quite close to the area. In fact, my Eyang Putri, my grandmama (from my father's side), had just called to ask whether we're okay.

Now my mom and my sisters and I are gathering clothes to give to the victims of the breakout. :'( Will you give them some too?

Last night's traffic jam captured by my camera phone.

The president and the vice president were there yesterday, it was mainly due to this that the traffic was so jammed yesterday. Not to mention the news media were also there along with political parties' and NGOs' trucks and cars bringing food and clothes and setting up shelter. And then there were also people crowding the site and insolent, obstinate moped-drivers blocking the road. So you could imagine how frustating it was to be in the middle of the traffic.

The thing is I didn't suspect that there was a dam breakout the morning it happened. I remember passing by Pasar Jumat, and seeing people hoisting up a refrigerator inside which was this heavy wet sack. I had thought that the sack and fridge contained a dead, mutilated body perhaps, seeing that was the trend in Indonesia's criminal activities. But as it was mid-term I couldn't pull up and ask what was going on. It was only after my mom texted me what had happened did I realize what that was all about.






Anyhow, don't forget to turn off the lights tonight, March 28 at 8.30PM.
Remember you can VOTE EARTH by switching off your lights for an hour - EARTH HOUR. :D
Click the pic below to find out more how you can show your support. :D

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

No Comment

Post a Comment